St Asaph grew up around a monastery on the banks of the Elwy founded by Saint Kentigern, otherwise known as Mungo, in 560AD – and left in the care of his favourite pupil Saint Asaph.
Quite rightly, the church has been dedicated to both these heroes of the town since the middle of the 12th century. The present building was built on top of older foundations in 1524 and soon extended in the typical double-naved Denbighshire style. Both naves have wonderful hammer-beam roofs, decked with angels on the older south side. The indomitable architect Sir George Gilbert Scott added porch, bellicote and vastry in 1872.